St Lucia is home to several endemic species and some of the region’s most intriguing birdlife; the Castries Waterworks forest reserve is a favoured environment for many of them. The bird watching hike is designed to engage everyone from the serious birder to the casual enthusiast. The tour sets off just after sunrise to ensure the best sightings.
HighlightsSt Lucia is home to several endemic species and some of the region’s most intriguing birdlife from the tropical hummingbird to migratory kestrel; the La Sorciere forest reserve is a favoured environment for many of them. The bird watching hike is designed to engage everyone from the serious birder to the casual enthusiast. The tour sets off just after sunrise to ensure the best sightings. Experienced Nature Interpreters guide you through the forest pointing out signature calls and keeping eyes peeled for even the most elusive of birds. The Amazona Versicolor, St Lucia’s national symbol makes this forest its home, though it is notoriously bashful. In flight, there is nothing more magnificent than the St Lucia Oriole, with its yellow/orange markings especially dramatic against its black plumage. In no short supply are three varieties of hummingbird, the Banana Quit, and the Pewee, all of which animate the forest canopy. The hike is moderate in difficulty, the ascent is gradual and there are rest points along the way.The Castries Waterworks reserve at the La Sourciere Mountain is home to Rain Forest Adventures/Sky Rides, St Lucia’s premiere eco-adventure company, just half an hour’s drive from port Castries and the island’s major hotels.
- Pick up from hotels in the North to the Rain Forest park
- Arrive at park, orientation, rest room, start hike
- Hike Jacquot trail – ascending with Bird Watching guide
- Rest at top station
- Hike Jacquot trail – descending with Bird Watching guide
- Continental breakfast at the Hummingbird Cafe, duty free shop, restroom
- Transfer from the park to the hotel
Tour Terms & Conditions
- The Rain Forest Park is a no smoking property.
- The tour is not suitable for pregnant woman or persons with back or neck injuries. It is only suitable for the physically fit and not for children under 6 years of age.
- The tour duration and route can vary due to the time spend on sightings and walking.
No Review Available
You might also like
Travel is my life. Since 1999, I’ve been traveling around the world nonstop. If you also love travel, you’re in the right place!